4.21.2013

And if Gwenyth Paltrow was jumping off a bridge...

Years ago, there was an article in InStyle magazine about Gwenyth Paltrow's favorite haunts in L.A. She spoke to how everyone considers her a New Yorker, but that her childhood was spent in Los Angeles. Apparently she loves beer and a good taco. Glutens and all. Who knew?

Well, I was new in L.A. at the time and decided to check out her favorite haunts. The used bookstore she loved? It was really good. Katsuya (the original on Ventura) was indeed the best sushi I've had in Los Angeles. It took me a while to get around to trying Chaya, though. It was a macrobiotic restaurant, which sounded as fun as a trip to the dentist. So I waited. Then a Los Angeles journalist wrote that the M Cafe de Chaya on Melrose was filled with so many blindingly beautiful people, that it hurt your eyes. So,  naturally I never had the right outfit, had bad hair - you get the idea.

Finally I bit the bullet. I just went and ordered some takeout. The only meat they had was fish but I am a fan of salmon. The food was fresh and the baked cookies were buttery and better than homemade. Since I was at an M Cafe, I could experience the trendy wonder of Chaya without breaking the bank. And the people there? Some were cute, and ok maybe I was the only one who wasn't anorexic, but there was no blinding gorgeousness that made me feel like Shrek in skinny jeans.

But the point I'm trying to get at, is that Gwenyth knows what's up.