3.14.2011

First and Hope


Downtown's First and Hope is getting a lot of hype. Los Angeles Magazine showcased it in their Best New Restaurants issue.  It's a place to see and be seen. And hopefully not just by annoying hipsters.


I'll admit, I had never heard of it. When my girlfriend (who lives downtown) invited me to her vintage-themed birthday party at First and Hope, I assumed that was where her loft was. I brought booze. Imagine my surprise when her address led me to an unassuming strip mall. Imagine the hostesses' surprise upon seeing me lugging in a homemade hot toddie jar and a bottle of Champagne. We all had a good laugh. Well, more them than me; I was looking forward to a house party with gratis cocktails and snacks. Plus I like analyzing people by what magnets they stick on their fridge.


But it was worth it. The decor was crisp, the music was old-fashioned and Billie Holiday classy (a perfect backdrop to our party) and the signature cocktail list? Inventive, retro and fun to drink. But of course, any establishment associated with The Edison is sure to wow and make us nostalgic for "the old days" that we were too young to ever know anything about. 

Here's a smattering of lovelies...


RUSSIAN SPRING PUNCH
vodka, lemon, raspberry, and casis, splashed with a bit of bubbles

BLACKBERRY COBBLER
blackberry and champagne variation on this age old cocktail

CHAMPAGNE JULEP
champagne variation on the ultimate deep south classic- mint, sugar, and bubbles

ELLE FOR LEATHER
an elegant combination of scotch, lemon, vanilla syrup & a touch of effervescence

SEELBACH COCKTAIL
a blend of bourbon, orange liquer, bitters& bubbles, of course!

TEQUILA SUNRISE
a L.A. classic- tequila, cassis, grenadine, & fresh lime

This place is a must!